Here I am after a day worth of studies, attending to my blog. Most of you would accept that blogging is a way of de-stressing. It is always so for me.
Stress has become an important part of our lives. I mean, if one is not stressed, he/she is stagnant in life or he/she is a yogi. From school going children to old people, all are stressed. Meditating is not a universal solution. People are looking for methods of de-stressing without wasting much time. I am that kind of a person, and so, here is how I de-stress.
- Deep Breathing – No. You don’t have to keep any time aside for this. It is said that our life span is based on the number of breaths we take. The longer the breathing, the longer we live.Have you noticed that you take deep breathes when you are happy and faster, short breaths when you are sad, angry, down or in any negative state of mind?If you are at office and feel stressed, continue working. Continue your breathing too, but with longer, deeper breaths. Do it at least up to 20 counts or as long as you can. Since 90% of our body consists of air, this really helps you de-stress. This is my first resort when I’m stressed. You may use this even when you’re upset or angry or tensed. 🙂
- Listening to Music – It is well known that music as healing powers. It also has soothing powers. I study a lot since I’m doing CA. Some times I get so tensed and stressed out that I find myself unable to focus. My head gets buzzing with lots of thoughts, my fears, what ifs, whys, and hows and my head gets all heated up. One such time, I decided to listen to a song. Since my phone is loaded with melodies, I played one among them and trust me! By the end of the song, I was automatically taking deep breaths.You need not listen to meditative music. Just take out your playlist and play any of the songs you like. Not songs that remind you of sad things. I say this because I have songs that trigger sad memories. So, keep them aside and listen to any other. You will know what I mean.
- Watching Sitcoms/Movies – Another easy way to de-stress. I would give preference to sitcoms because, a single episode takes just 20 minutes. Within this time, you would definitely be de-stressed. I watch them all the time, even now, whenever I feel stressed. For those who haven’t tried them, watch Friends or HIMYM for starters. For those who have tried them, let me know if you find anything as good as those ever again. :PJokes apart, there are plenty of Sitcoms available. And every friends circle has the ‘sitcom genius’. Just find your sitcom genius and ask him/her which would be the de-stressing sitcom that you could watch. For those who don’t like sitcom, go for not-so-serious movies. 🙂
- Move Your Body – I would have named this point as ‘Exercise’. But, I didn’t want you to click the ‘x’ button on the top right corner. Because, taking 20 push-ups and 30 crunches!? No! That isn’t what I’m talking about.
If you’re a little bit exercise friendly, jogging in the room, doing slight rhythmic movements, aerobics etc is what I meant. Just let yourself loose.
If you’re not exercise friendly, just close the doors, play a song and move. You need not know how to dance. Just flail your arms and try things with your legs. A few tumkas and jhatkas. You have no idea how free you feel seeing yourself loosen up before the mirror. I do all kinds of crazy stuff before the mirror and soon find myself laughing away. 😉
Show your crazy side to yourself. You will feel good and of course! de-stressed.
- Travel – There is nothing like a cool breeze on the face, kissing your cheeks and caressing your hair. Sometimes, I get out of my home sad and depressed. But once I’m on my bike, I feel better. The soaring feeling takes away all the blue. To top it all, if you know a naturally beautiful place like a wood, hill, field or a riverside nearby, just go there, sit for a while and spend some time with the nature. You will definitely feel good about yourself.
These are the five main things I do to de-stress myself. These tips can be used by anyone at any point of time. In addition to this, there are a few more de-stressing methods which may not work well on all. In my case, some work well and some don’t. For some, I don’t have the time. Anyhow, I’ll list them here:
- Eating chocolates, pizzas or any favorite food.
- Reading books help me once in a while, but not when I am highly stressed.
- Staying away from internet and phone for 2 hours every day. I do that during study holidays and I am considering doing it for a whole day in a week. Phone and internet consume a lot of our time and energy.
- Writing down what makes me stressed. Writing helps me a lot. It helps me de-clutter my head and think clear. Most of the times, too many things in head causes stress. For those who have the habit of keeping diary, try writing down your feelings when you are stressed.
This is not an exhaustive list. People resort to different methods to make their lives stress-free. If you have any simple and fast way to de-stress, do share your methods in the comments. The best comment will win vouchers from Blogadda.com. 🙂